Monday, March 4, 2013

Pre-Season Update!

Hmmm.. where to begin! Sorry I've been so lackluster with updates... you know me.



Last time I updated, we were gearing up for the American Royal and Area IV Championships, both of which went excellent! My memory is a bit hazy now but we only placed one time at the Royal, mostly because those jumpers go crazy fast and I was just using it strictly as preparation for area champs and focusing on control. Phoenix is NOTORIOUS for getting strong after a jump and trying to run around the course, barreling heavier on the forehand as he does so. But the one time we actually did give it a go and push for speed, we ended 4th out of 20 people in our class! So I was very pleased with the cookie man.

Next stop, we hit the eventing circuit to go to Heritage Park/Area IV Championships. We laid down our best dressage test FOR SURE to date, but the judge royally screwed us in the arse and we sat in 7th after dressage with a 38. The person in first had stick straight arms and a horse completely on the forehand, but somehow scored a 24. Everyone in the entire event that was in ring 3 were really upset with how/why they placed the way they did. I tried not to dwell on it and went double clear on cross country.

Unfortunately, the next day we tapped a rail and dropped to 10th. If we had not had the rail, we would have ended in 5th.. so I'm slightly bummed. But overall I'm very pleased with how Phoenix and I ended 2012. I gave him a month off to relax while I severely reevaluated what I wanted to achieve with my riding and did goal planning with my mom and sister. Phoenix ended the year with four different year end awards: MACTA BN Reserve Champion, MACTA Novice Reserve Champion, MACTA Horse of the Year Reserve Champion, and Area IV BN Reserve Champion. I got an email that said we got some neato awards in our cross country colors so I'm pretty excited for the awards banquet in April.

In January, I started to consistently ride again with a fresh perspective on where I wanted to be, because I am not satisfied with going BN the rest of my fucking life.. excuse my french. And my old trainer refused to ever want me to move up. At the end of January, my sister and I moved trainers and have NOT looked back. We have improved tremendously in the month and half with our new trainer and are really starting to SEE and FEEl improvements in our riding. So that's great. My motivation and confidence is at an all time high. In February, we drove 6 hours to Feather Creek farm to get some cross country schooling in before our first event of the season (usually we start in May with our old trainer.. woo!) and Phoenix was great. He schooled the entire novice course with ease and my new trainer suggested that we go novice our first event of the season.. so we're already moving up before even going to one event!





We just recently had 2 feet of snow dumped on us so I haven't been able to ride in almost two weeks, so I'm a bit nervous for our event in 2 weeks.. but still very excited with where our season is going! I will update soon with season goals..


My dope ass clipping job.

Anyways my 18th birthday is on Sunday and we leave for Feather Creek HT next Thursday so here goes nothing!! 2013 be good to me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment