Monday, September 10, 2012

The AEC's that almost weren't...

Here I am again posting after a 3 month break. A lot has happened in our riding since end of May, but it has been too long to try and rehash it now. And that is not what I'm here to post about. I'm here to talk about the American Eventing Championships.

When August 1st rolled around, and the AEC's entries opened, I ran to my parents hoping this year would finally be my year. Unfortunately my sister didn't get qualified, and my mom doesn't like going to events unless both of us are doing it, so she said no. And I was pissed. It's really hard to get better when I can't even show.

Enter facebook.
I posted on my facebook, in more of a vent than an actual plea, saying I wish someone would take my horse to AEC's. I really wanted him to get his shining moment because I really truly believed he could place well or at least top ten.

Enter Carrie Meehan.
Aka my hero. Or life saver. Or superhuman. Or whatever you want to call her. Seriously, she's a freaking amazing rider. She has won the AEC's the past two years in a row in the prelim division, and is basically the bee's knees. She commented on my status saying she had an extra spot in her trailer and didn't get one of her horses qualified so she really wanted to take another horse. She was taking one of her horses in the BN division already and didn't want to drive 20 hours for one horse in beginner novice. So I said come over and ride Phoenix and see what you think about him. If you want to pay your entry for him, you can surely take him and reap any rewards he could potentially win you.

That was two weeks before AEC's so I was really curious how well they could actually place.


So they didn't win :(
BUT THEY CAME PRETTY FREAKING CLOSE!!!!!!




That's right. MY horse is the Reserve Champion for the 2012 American Eventing Championships. Really. It's a dream come true. And I didn't even ride. I owe it all to Carrie who piloted Phoenix from 4T to SECOND place after only riding him for two weeks!!! Maybe if she only rode him for one week they would have gotten 1st? ;) On top of that, she got 5th place on her four year old after only eventing him for like 6 months. She's a bad ass.

I have to admit, it is disappointing that I qualified him and didn't even get to take him. But if we're being completely honest and realistic here, no way in Hell would he have finished as well with me riding him. Now I have another year to try and qualify and go to Texas and hopefully I can place well there! Phoenix comes home this week and it's time for us to kick our asses in gear and prepare for the Area 4 Championships!

Thank you Carrie for giving my horse this incredible experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment